Job Title: Automation & Controls Specialist
Job Description: Element Staffing is recruiting for an experienced Automation & Controls Specialist for a large chemical plant in Houston, TX. The Controls Specialist will be responsible for the continuous improvement of maintenance systems, equipment reliability, mechanical integrity, project planning, and reduction of maintenance cost with particular emphasis on PLC automation control systems (Programming, trouble shooting, components and controls. Will work within the plant safety and environmental programs. In addition, will interact with all levels of plant and non-plant personnel as required to perform duties and responsibilities. Will oversee and/or coordinate teams, to evaluate and resolve PLC automation and controls challenges within company.
- Performs technical support for I&E and field automation systems.
- Proficient in PLC & HMI programming techniques and execution (specific experience in Rockwell Allen Bradley, RS Logix 5000, Factory Talk Studio / RS View 32, Platform is required. Knowledge and understanding on other PLC’s like Mitsubishi and Siemens is plus.
- Proficient in network configuration and troubleshooting, programming wireless instruments into the PLC.
- Proficient in Industrial communication protocols (Ethernet IP, Modbus, etc.), Proficient in specification, installation, operation and troubleshooting of PLCs including system. communications, hardware and software.
- Proficient in specification, installation, operation and troubleshoot of input and final element instrumentation in an Industrial Chemical plant.
- Develops Control Design Specifications and implements PLC automation projects, works with contractors, carry’s out FAT/ SAT/ Startup and commissioning and handover to operations.
- Works with I&E shop teams and Production teams to trouble shoot and resolve plant process PLC automation issues.
- Maintains integrity of field control systems.
- Maintains field automation systems to approved standards and assures proper software patching/revisions are applied.
- Maintains obsolescence awareness on field automation systems.
- Works on Automation replacement & upgrade plans.
- Carries out Site PLC Automation Preventive Maintenance. Maintains site wide PLC spares / inventory.
- Maintains good records, documents, and reports various data.
- Assures standards adherence for field automation systems.
- Reviews applicable Automation & Controls standards and assures adherence.
- Reviews, comments and develops Automation site standards.
- Awareness of codes and standards applicable to field automation systems (i.e. wiring practices, hazardous location practices, etc.)
- Awareness of ISA84 application to automation systems (i.e. SIL, SIF, IPF, etc.)
- Understands and applies business objectives to field automation work.
- Provides feedback to designs.
- Works with and/or directs automation contractors.
- Proactively seeks opportunities for continuous improvement of processes and equipment.
- Provides automation expertise and support to other teams.
- Identifies equipment and facilities with high maintenance cost and/ or high failure rates and works to improve electrical and mechanical reliability.
- Develops, maintains, and continuously improves the PLC Automation infrastructure quality program for all selected critical equipment.
- Participates in the preparation of the spare parts catalog which covers equipment for which he/she is responsible.
- Sets up and maintains permanent equipment files on work history and cost, detailed to individual work orders.
- Develops and monitors the plants inspection program as it specifically relates to the PLC Automation infrastructure, which includes planned scheduled equipment inspections.
- Responsible for planning and tracking the execution of all the facilities shutdowns with particular attention to the effects on PLC automation infrastructure.
- Performs RCFA on equipment failures with particular focus on PLC automation infrastructure.
- Presents a commitment to high standards and the ability to inspire those qualities in others.
- Represents the company’s position and interests effectively in dealings with outside contractors, vendors and engineering consultants.
- Lead, coordinate or participate in pro-active team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Comply with all company policies, practices and procedures.
- Required to work beyond normal work hours from time to time.
- Strong work ethic displaying consistent dependability, reliability and initiative.
- Note: Regular attendance is an essential job function for this position.
- Participate in on-call duty roster.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
Years of Experience: 5-10+ years
Education: AS Instrumentation/Electrical Controls or related
Shift/Travel: M-F, days + weekend duty as needed
Assignment Type: Direct hire
Location: Houston, TX
For immediate consideration, please send your resume to [email protected]